Party Meatloaf

Exploring all that is wonderful and horrible about 50's pop culture. Come join the party!

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

A brief interlude of sanity

Brought to you by Crisco. 6 cups flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 2-1/3 cups Crisco. Add different stuff to get five different kinds of cookies.

Yes, I know, basically they are telling you to make your own Bisquick. Still, compared to what the rest of this magazine is trying to get me to make, date bars, sugar cookies, molasses cookies, brownies and Noel Nut Balls seem like signposts from another world. Another, normal world.

I will say I'm not keen on their advice to "use Crisco in all your baking." In other words, Don't Buy Butter. Because "Crisco cookies are as grand tasting as butter cookies, yet oh, so thrifty!" Excuse me, no. Cookies made with solid shortening have an entirely different texture and taste from butter cookies. Often I prefer it, since butter makes cookies really brittle. But Crisco leaves cookies tasting undeniably flat if you are used to butter. Or even margarine. Which I use a lot, because I was raised on it, and it didn't kill me.

Can you tell I'm a little pissed over Blogger eating this post all day?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home