Party Meatloaf

Exploring all that is wonderful and horrible about 50's pop culture. Come join the party!

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A How-To

A very cool thing about 50's magazines is they assumed women knew how to knit--I mean knit, like, whole sweaters out of fingering weight yarn on size 2 needles knitting. So they often have patterns and in fact when they have patterns they tend to have half a dozen or so.

I'm putting this one up because it looks kind of cool and trendy and in line with what the young people like these days (those who knit, anyway). It's a remarkably simple pattern which, in the interest of accuracy, I'm not going to try to re-type here, but if you are interested in it, just click on the image of the instructions and you will get a larger version that should be readable.

I'm not starting this at the moment because I swore not to start anything new until I finish my daughter's latest cardigan; it has already been rendered superfluous by spring temperatures but I want to complete it before she outgrows it. Maybe in September, the cap?

From the October 1954 Family Circle.
























.

2 Comments:

At 7:01 PM, Blogger Lidian said...

That is actually really cute - my eldest DD would love it. I wish I did knit - my mom was an expert and I have some of her knitting mags from the 50s. You're right - they must have been total experts to mae that stuff...

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Susan said...

This one isn't as hard as it looks--you knit one earflap separately, then knit the rest of the thing on two needles. Since it's not knit in the round, you could do some intarsia for color. But apart from the skills needed, I'm flabbergasted by the amount of time a lot of 50's projects demand. I mean, we are talking TINY needles for adult sweaters. Did people really have that much more leisure time back then? Or did they just knit faster? Either way, I feel like I missed out on something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home