Party Meatloaf

Exploring all that is wonderful and horrible about 50's pop culture. Come join the party!

Monday, March 17, 2008

Swing dancing = bad; bicycle stunt riding = good

These little cartoons were featured in feminine hygiene pamphlets back in my day, and they really stuck with me. Partly because of the huge heads (I have a thing about oversized or disembodied heads), partly because of the contradictory messages. "Yes, it's OK to do normal girl things during your period! BUT NOT THAT!!!!"




So, it's a good idea to shower, but don't use hot water. Why not, I wonder? Too stimulating? Are we more likely to scald during that time of the month?

Dancing is fine, as long as no one appears to be enjoying it. Dancing that includes judo moves is out.

The bike riding cartoon really amuses me; can you imagine an image like that in any approved children's literature today? No hands, no helmet, feet off the pedals . . . don't even get me started on the difficulty of balancing that enormous head on such a tiny body.
























.

1 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Blogger Lidian said...

This is wonderful stuff. I like the tiny ittle bits and bobs of ephemera too - I think that they are really interesting and tell a lot about pop culture and blah blah, I also get a huge kick out of them...

I almost posted that blueberry muffin ad this week! I have it in an old Woman's Day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home