Party Meatloaf

Exploring all that is wonderful and horrible about 50's pop culture. Come join the party!

Monday, March 03, 2008

Bring me the head of Arthur Godfrey

There was just no way to make Arthur Godfrey look good, the poor schmo, but this caricature really pushes the envelope:

I mean, the artist really didn't care, did he? He didn't care that taking a pen-and-ink rendering of Godfrey's ubiquitous photograph head shot and pasting it on top of a clip art ukulele-playing body produced this freakish anomaly. He didn't care that the innocent consumer of Star Kist tuna might look at this ad and think, Holy cats, Arthur Godfrey wants me to win a trip to Hawaii, but what if I go there and sit under a coconut palm just like him, and a coconut falls on my head and my head swells up that big? Arthur Godfrey may have sufficient neck muscles to hold a 180-pound head upright, but I sure don't.

Folks, he just didn't care.







.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home