Party Meatloaf

Exploring all that is wonderful and horrible about 50's pop culture. Come join the party!

Monday, February 18, 2008

Blowback

In 1959, packaged mixes were so popular that good old Knox Gelatine felt compelled to push back with their own ad campaign. Ironically, plain powdered gelatin was one of the earliest "convenience" foods--how often would you make gelatin if you had to boil your own pig's feet? Here, Knox calls into question the essential reality of chiffon pie mixes.

And I'm sure they have a point--flavored Jello is notoriously over-sweetened, and real lemons probably make a world of difference. I haven't tried this recipe though, because I can just imagine how long the rest of the box of Knox gelatin (Spell check doesn't like the "e" on the end, sorry Knox!) would sit on my shelf. Forever, basically.

The deeper irony is that no one ever even eats chiffon pie any more, so far as I can tell. Or chiffon cakes either, which is a mercy. I have made one of those.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home