Party Meatloaf

Exploring all that is wonderful and horrible about 50's pop culture. Come join the party!

Monday, August 14, 2006

Two that won't kill you

Here are two cake recipes from the same Good Housekeeping as yesterday's, both of which I have made and both of which are edible. I can't say I've ever referred to anything I've baked as a "Yam-Yam Cake" (it sounds like something from Madam Butterfly). But if you call it a sweet potato cake people will get the point and no one will cringe and avoid your eyes. The recipe from yesterday's post contains the tail end of the sweet potato cake recipe: serve with whipped cream and walnuts, which you should do with practically everything, as far as I'm concerned.

The Jam Cake is a recipe I tried when I was looking for something approximating the Lemon Jelly cake in Virginia Woolley's Ginnie's Babysitting Business (a.k.a. Ginnie and Her Juniors). I think you could make this with lemon jelly but now, having found the recipe, I can't find lemon jelly in the store. Just lemon curd, and to hell with that. But, this is good made with apricot or pineapple preserves, and I've even made it with strawberry jam. But it is quite sweet--definitely don't frost it. It goes nicely with tea.


If you haven't experienced the Ginnie stories, be prepared to be bored to tears tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home