Party Meatloaf

Exploring all that is wonderful and horrible about 50's pop culture. Come join the party!

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Cookbooklets!

Talk about tempting fate--I am scanning like a madwoman today, so Blogger better behave itself this week (yes, I have checked all my punctuation).

This little gem was given to me by a friend who knows me far too well. Have you ever wondered why Jello is so popular at cafeterias? Wonder no more. It turns out Jello actually costs nothing at all to serve, so every penny customers spend on it is pure profit. Or something like that.

Now, we are warned that "Food costs in this book are based on prices of June 1950," but still--2-cent Jello desserts? What's not to like about that, at least for the cafeteria owner who's charging 75 cents?

But as always, things that look too good to be true generally are. Ribbon Fluff Mold? It's jello, topped with Jello that's been whipped. (I always think "mold" is a bad word to put in a recipe title, even if it is gelation.) Jello Fantasy? It's Jello with a little cream poured on top. No, I'm sorry, it's actually "a mystery dessert with feathery trickles of cream." My mistake. In this version it has scored banana slices on top, which I guess is kind of mysterious. People will wonder "Why are they there? Why don't they sink?" Not my idea of a fantasy, but to each his own. Jello Jewels? Jello smashed through a colander.

The pricier recipes don't improve much. The most expensive thing in the book is Strawberry Chiffon pie (strawberry Jello, strawberries, egg whites and whipped cream) at 6.5 cents per serving, which doesn't seem bad, but with the fresh strawberries and everything, the Jello hardly seems necessary.

And guess what's on the last page? Tapioca recipes! Including Peppermint-stick Cream! In this version, you dissolve crushed peppermint candy in the milk as you make the tapioca, ommitting all sugar, and top with chocolate sauce. It still sounds awful, but hey, it only costs 3 cents a portion. Myself, I would gladly pay 3 cents, or even three dollars, to be excused from eating it, but I do not live in 1950 and I don't have to make my living selling food to people at 8000% markup.

On the back cover, I think you can see a dish of Jello Jewels on the left. Not sure what flavor that would be. Maybe orange? It looks like something that came out of a distressed sea creature, don't you think?
As always, click on the images to enlarge them, if you dare.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home