Party Meatloaf

Exploring all that is wonderful and horrible about 50's pop culture. Come join the party!

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Pavlov's dog meets Freud's wife

Beer = sex. That's the real message here, though it's coyly spelt out "Beer = hospitality." We don't need the pink and red color scheme, the high-heeled slippers, the phallic lamp, or the reference to "her snacks" to get the point.

It says a lot about the fifties that you found beer advertisements in Family Circle magazine. Also that Budweiser was one of the better beers you could buy. We've come a long way, baby.

Those were also glory days for advertisers, who could make a living penning monologues of Shakesperean length to describe their products.

The text reads:

My husband was frantic when he came home from work. He had forgotten that this was the night the boys were coming over for poker.

But I hadn't. There was plenty of cold Budweiser in the refrigerator to go along with my snacks.

When they'd gone, he said, "Even the ones who lost had a good time . . . thanks to the good things to eat, the Budweiser and your good memory."

(Actually, Budweiser reminded me, when I saw it at the store. When I see Budweiser, I think of hospitality . . . letting people know you think enough of them to serve the best.)
For the life of me I can't figure out what she's doing with her hands. Protecting wet nail polish, perhaps?

1 Comments:

At 1:34 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Is that a couch? Or a bed?
Either way, it seems quite...long.
More phallic symbolism, perhaps?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home