Party Meatloaf

Exploring all that is wonderful and horrible about 50's pop culture. Come join the party!

Sunday, May 21, 2006

And we are live

About ten years ago I started collecting women's magazines from the 1930's through the 1960's.

Six years ago I got a Ph.D. which included some work in Women's Studies.

Last week I got a scanner.

Let the games begin!

One difference between this blog and other, similar sites, is that I will sometimes actually test the recipes. This is one I've tried, from the December 1956 Family Circle magazine. It's OK, for meatloaf. In fact Lipton still prints this recipe on its soup boxes (though nowadays they call for dry breadcrumbs--easier to buy prepackaged). It's now called "Souperier Meatloaf"; I guess we've raised the bar for party fare since 1956.

Also, sometime in the last fifty years, we've stopped thinking of Lipton soup mix as a "Continental" touch in our cooking. It was a simpler time. Simpler, stupider, and saltier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home