Party Meatloaf

Exploring all that is wonderful and horrible about 50's pop culture. Come join the party!

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Sometimes a pepper grinder is just a pepper grinder

But not this time. Continuing yesterday's theme of meat monarchy, today we see the only relationship 50's men were allowed to have with salad: total dominance.

Frankly, his "equipment" doesn't look exactly "king-size" to me. I've seen bigger pepper grinders (there's another 50's cookbook, I think a BHG, with a similar picture, featuring an enormous, but enormous, black pepper grinder--but for the life of me I can't locate it at this time). Still, you'd have to be pretty dim not to get the point. Come on, why else would there be eggs in that bowl?

This is the kind of photo that leaves me conflicted--most 50's advertising makes me laugh and say, oh, they were so naive! But stuff like this makes me think they had to know what they were doing. Presumably it was just the readers who were that niave.

Notice the striped apron--that's 50's code for "I'm not gay!" Also, due to the lack of meat or even hamburger buns, the photographer appears to have greased this man's head instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home